Coaching/mentoring is a form of learning requiring a more experienced individual providing and sharing their knowledge directly with the individual. Coaching usually provides the most direct approach to acquiring knowledge and is most appropriate for skills-based instruction. When combined with a structured learning program, coaching is one of the best methods of reinforcing new habits.
The mentor’s responsibilities include:
- Helping the learner set long-term career goals and short-term learning objectives
- Helping the learner understand the organisational culture
- Recommending and/or creating learning opportunities
- Transferring knowledge in areas such as communication, critical thinking, responsibility, flexibility, and teamwork
- Pointing out strengths and areas for development
- Answering any questions and
- Providing guidance on personal matters.